Saturday, January 12, 2008

Thirty Thousand Seven Hundred Forty One


Thirty Thousand Seven Hundred Forty One is the approximate number of strides (4.5 feet per stride) it would take me to run a marathon. Measured in conventional units the marathon is a Twenty Six Mile, One Thousand Fifty Six Feet race. I have run two in my life. The first was the 1997 New York City Marathon and my second was the inaugural San Diego Rock'n Roll Marathon in 1998.

Between the decade of my last marathon and today many things have happened in my life. Some highlights include: applying, going and graduating from law school, changing jobs, getting married and having children. For most of that decade I kept running. I even tried unsuccesfully to register to run the New York City Marathon at least two times since my first run. The last three years have been different. For whatever many excuses I can come up with, my running decreased to zero, which made me extremely unhappy.

No more excuses. I am taking control. That is why I am running again and why itend to run the 2008 New York City Marathon not just for me but by running for a charity, to improve the lives of others.

No comments: