Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Building Up to a Long Run and Racing

We are half-way through the first full week of February and I am starting to think about participating in a road race, the first in at least four years. I find it remarkable that just a few weeks ago I was having difficulty running on the treadmill for Thirty minutes without having to stop or start walking. Today I am able to run at least Forty-Five minutes at a healthy pace of 7:30 per mile without having to slow down or stop.

With the progress I have made in mind I looked at the NYRRC racing calendar for upcoming races that would provide a challenge but not kill me, and I decided on the Al Gordon 4 Mile race on February 23 in Central Park. I am all signed up for it, but before race day I will attempt at least two 10 mile long training runs. I will attempt the first long run this coming Saturday. I shall report on how that goes. Stay-tuned.

No comments: